Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jumping Ship

I stand on the gray edge
of a huge aircraft carrier
in the middle of the sea,

a sailboat is pushed off
the massive metal barge
into the ocean far below.

It spreads wings, floats
downwards like a strange
plane or man-made bird
into the water’s huge expanse
waiting to receive this offering,

now I'm here alone on the gun-metal edge
of the ship and gaze towards the small boat,

it’s now a tiny blemish on infinity’s face,
and tell myself, ‘it’s only 29 feet to fall’,

gathering enough courage to step off
the ship into empty space, I’m falling
floating flying for what feels like minutes

through this void where people do not
go, down and down and down and now

watching myself from the deck above
I know this is many feet higher than 29,

it's dangerously far above what is there
underneath, more like a 10 story building
from ship to sea

but I splash into mother ocean
with no apparent injury, a kind
of fool's miracle

that I’ve landed safely ( i think)
next to the sailboat, what is next
i do not know for certain,

it does involve braving deep waters
and a willingness to live within
elements other than dry land.

No comments: