Sunday, March 27, 2022

The Peace of Poems

In the horrific darkness of this war in Ukraine,

this assault perpetrated on innocents sheltered

in subway stations and theaters for a semblance

of safety, I who am thousands of miles

away from harm thank god every morning

for Mary Oliver and for my friend Therese

who gifted me with an anthology of poetry

composed by this tiny powerful woman

who is a gorgeous bird suddenly landing

on the backyard lemon tree pregnant

with life, with the fragrance of  blossoms,

a promise of ease.

Mary's music, her airborne words and earthy images

embrace my cheeks softly and like a cool stream

she gazes into my eyes weary from television news,

as she sings such care, such beauty

into these eyes these ears this heart

encouraging our world

and all who walk upon holy ground

to become a safe 

bright place once more.


No comments: