Saturday, March 7, 2009

tiny girl (bigger/longer)

this tiniest girl, a brownish soft bug
sat like a pinpoint or tuft
of still round hair
reverent on a couch
or was it a chair?,
she’d somehow or other become
my charge at the party.

a friend’s insect daughter
eluded my efforts to touch
or to hold her throughout the event
as a multitude of people
talk ate and drank as they do
at these things.

her mother apparently unawares
didn’t care for her safety or where
she was all night in the noisy
big room until with a thrust
I picked her right up, felt
a protective fatherly surge
for the vulnerable girl.

this diminutive bug held safe
in my hand yet soon escaped
near the kitchen’s flurry and heat,
as my heart fell with a crash,
down on my knees I searched the floor
and knew she’d disappeared amongst
the crowd and the hoopla,
again eluded me well and the desire
to care for her here in the din
amidst dangerous feet stepping
helter skelter to crush creatures
as she.

she was gone from my care
this brave insect girl,
only an orange ladybug left
as I crawled on all fours
here on the floor.

No comments: