Friday, January 30, 2009

A Time of New Medicine

I went somewhere last night
in deep sleep….
for the first time perhaps.
It was a bit unusual
in some vague way
and even trees
could not tell me
the place’s name.

I liked it there and wish
it were easier to
know it now,
to see it again
clear and plain.

There may have been a foreign language
spoken by the denizens of the place,
and then again this may just
be my imagination.

You see there’s been a lot going on
this week: my daughter is in the hospital
due to a serious, frightening bout
with a perforated appendix
and this has made things strange,
oddly vivid like a strong film
spoken in another tongue with blurred
subtitles.

I’m now back at home two hours away
from her trying to get work done
and it’s hard not to be at her side.
I had planned to return to the hospital and her
on Sunday but I think it’s Saturday after all
for I miss her and need to be present making
certain the care given by nurses and aides and
doctors is the best for my little girl.

She is the most important
person, the vital real
sun of everything in my life.
She is luminous to me, she gleams
in her slow fragile recovery.
I glow, I weep in my protective love for her.

No comments: