Saturday, November 8, 2008

PETER'S BIRTHDAY SONG

Becoming older isn't all bad,
now that I'm 59 plus
a hefty tad,
there are myriad options
I've never had.

Discounted movie tix
tickle me glad,
while the thought of AARP membership
makes me quite sad.
On the other hand,
age spots and all,
senior transit passes
come so cheap now,
it's grand,
this abundance of benefits
is completely rad!

Yet this turning 60 isn't merely fiscal,
other facets matter,
mental, social and spiritual,
as well as the physical..
truth is most days I feel 17
or at most close to 40--
as per my dear daughter
sometimes I act too youthful,
frenetic and kinetic,
and can be embarrassing
in my frisky cavorting.

I've noticed this as I wend my way
through decades and places,
we're on this adventure alone
and together,
touched by all times
and multiple spaces.
As we mysteriously travel,
if we can know ourselves well,
be loved by a few,
love others too,
forgive without forgetting,
let go with a glimmer
of grace
and live with real purpose,
mere aging cannot
our souls unravel.


So thanks for joining me
here at David's tonight.
You help make my lifetime
shine golden bright.
My wish for all of us
is a life richly a'glow
with family and friends,
small acts of pleasure
and kindness
on which the strong
open heart,
vibrant and benign,
may forever depend.

No comments: