Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Meeting My Un-Maker

The metal folding chairs were cold that day
which was not dark nor light.

The room held but two of us:
myself and a wild man,
unkempt,
years older than I was then.

We sat across the space between
and stared straight towards wide,
worn clearest eyes.

I feared him, yet was drawn as well
to his power, strength and presence.
His longish hair straggled down
and the beard was of a bum.

Then quickly it began to happen,
fear rose through my skin:
the chilled brown chair on which I sat
began to move towards HIM.

While he sat still, I vibrated left
slowly over open floor.
Aware of others
outside our space
who watch and judge
this mystic movement;
yet, self-consciousness could not efface
the animal attraction between us.

My vision steadied by such transforming force,
his disfigured right arm
hanging down
came of a sudden into view---
‘twas lopped off clean,
well above the wrist
in plain sight for all to see!

My gasping soul jolted
with a thousand volts
in this electric chair
by a mystery man,
hewn of stoic muscle
and silent, blueish hue.

No comments: