Friday, November 20, 2020

      Birthday Prayer

I want to live wildly serene

like spindrift flying off an ocean wave

sparkling in afternoon sunshine;

I want to live like the 10 year-old boy

dipping low to sneak a sniff of his grouchy

neighbor’s pink rose, savoring each inch

of smell that meets a happy nose;

I want to live like an old woman

sipping coffee in Autumn, wrapped

in her favorite sweater, remembering

her first love; I want to live like a waterfall

plunging at trail’s end down 100 feet

of granite onto a laughing man exulting

below, his tingling pink skin soaked

forever, like a cloud his upturned face

bows before his god; yes! I want to live

like Walt Whitman singing of himself

and everyone who has lived while he dances,

wrestling with his pals in the basement,

and those multitudes he contains.

No comments: