Monday, May 4, 2020


     Heavenly Earthly Feast

One night sitting on the living 
room couch, eating peanut butter
with crackers and carrots, waiting
for a friend to call (she’s always late)
while pondering life and some recent
snafus impeding things overall, I heard God 
declare (it was them I swear!)
‘Peter you’re too goddamn modest’
and right then and there, honest, I
decided to listen as they went on 
to state ‘it’s all holy, every bit of it, 
and you’ve known that for years,
this brown couch, that air purifier, 
the cell phone you’re typing on right now, 
your tardy amiga Ana and the annoyance with her,
hell even this crunchy peanut butter is as sacred 
as me..in fact it is me!’ About then I wiped the peanut butter off my lips and took a slow look around the room without 
my glasses. I really looked if you know what I mean 
and damn if they weren’t right! Apparently I didn’t need 
to hear more because then a silence enveloped all of it 
like light sifting down from the full moon onto a round lake at midnight soothing, uplifting everything and I circled back 
to savoring each and every morsel of my holy snack 
so help me God....

No comments: