Monday, August 7, 2017

             From Europe, With Love

I wanted something, I wanted. I could not have it.
It was as close as that pint of ice cream is right
now in the freezer, the kitchen 15 feet away.
Instantly she’d felt like home. No, her third floor
apartment on a chilled November day is what
felt like home. The small kitchen overlooking
a church and field, the warm bath after the long flight
and drive, trout with beetroot soup, cherry wine and
homemade chocolate cake for our first dinner, how tall
and pretty she was in person at the bleak airport
that reminded me of a rust-belt bus station. I thought
“I’m glad I came.”  Here, comfort and belonging were redolent.

Weeks later, buying the card downtown, I was embarrassed
standing in line with laughing school children getting
afternoon snacks, old women with meat and onions
for supper. Over the blue bridge and up the long hill one last
time, placing the card on the kitchen table, then a couple
of beers our final night while she watched patiently. Two
weeks’ later my new underwear and socks purchased
for the trip arrived in a brown envelope, a small candle
and note tucked within, something about keeping the light.
I’ll eat the Italian gelato, not sure I kept the candle.

No comments: